Thursday, December 10, 2015

The new Streets of Old Milwaukee

An MPM favorite gets a tech-y face lift 


Last week, I went with some friends to the Milwaukee Public Museum for a sneak peek of the new Streets of Old Milwaukee. It's been closed for a while for renovations and will re-open today, December 11th. 



The main addition is very bright and shiny: a life-size streetcar with a scrolling street scene that's all kinds of fun. The other additions took a keen eye (and the help of other museum-goers) to spy.



Be sure to peek inside the Pfister Hotel. I would never have thought to look through the glass if the group ahead of us hadn't been marveling at what they saw: well-dressed ladies chatting in the lobby. I did discover a silhouette in an upper window — a shadow of a girl fussing with her hair, then peering out into the street.



All of the old favorites remain: granny in her rocking chair, the tiny movie theater, and of course the candy shop. Aside from the tech-y upgrades, not much has changed that I can tell. But I love the attention to detail and little secrets hiding here and there. 

Now go visit the new Streets of Old Milwaukee and tell me what secrets I've missed! For more info, visit mpm.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment