Friday, January 29, 2016

Nutella cream pie with Biscoff cookie crust

Silky layers of chocolate hazelnut & cream


A very important holiday is coming up fast. A holiday for lovers. Nope, not that one — the other one. February 5th: World Nutella Day

Did you know that Nutella chose a "Chief Nutella Ambassador" to promote the day? I'm not miffed or anything. Oh no. I'm too excited for pie to be miffed, right? Newsflash: I'm miffed! Who knew they were holding auditions for the perfect job ever? Rachel and I could represent World Nutella Day backwards and upside down in our sleep. But whatever, Nutella. I guess I'll just keep buying jars upon jars of your life-affirming product, eating it with a spoon and/or baking it into more life-affirming desserts. That'll show 'em.



Anyway, this pie was a bit of an experiment. I took the Nutella filling from one pie and plopped it in a Biscoff crust, because everyone knows that Nutella and Biscoff cookies are MFEO. The experiment paid off. My brother ate about a quarter of the pie in one sitting. Adam said "You'll make this all the time, right?" 

- - - - - - - 

NUTELLA CREAM PIE WITH BISCOFF COOKIE CRUST

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
PIE FILLING
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup Nutella

BISCOFF CRUST
1 8.8-oz package Biscoff cookies (yep, the whole package)
5–6 TBS butter, melted

OPTIONAL EXTRA WHIPPED TOPPING
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 TBS sugar 

WHAT YOU'LL DO
1. For the Biscoff crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break up cookies and pulse them in a food processor until finely crumbled. Add melted butter and pulse until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-in. round pie pan (I used glass Pyrex). Bake for 10 minutes, then cool completely. 

2. For the pie filling: In a large bowl, beat heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. *Note: A metal bowl works well, and placing the bowl and the beaters in the fridge while you prep everything else will help the cream whip up faster. 

3. In another bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and Nutella until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped cream. *Note: I just eyeballed half. I also ended up slowly beating in the whipped cream because folding was a pain; this didn't affect the taste or texture.

4. Pour the Nutella filling into the cooled pie shell. Top with remaining whipped cream. If desired, whip up additional cream for the topping (I didn't do this). Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Store leftovers covered in the fridge. 

- - - - - - - 

This pie keeps surprisingly well. Adam and I munched on small pieces of it throughout the week; the filling stayed silky and the whipped topping, fluffy. As a garnish, I crumbled extra Biscoff cookies on top of the pie as I served it. You can never have too many Biscoff cookies. Speaking of, I wonder if there's a World Biscoff Day — and do they need a Chief Ambassador?

No comments:

Post a Comment