Thursday, March 16, 2017

Olson House

Scandinavian home goods & interior design in Shorewood 


Scandinavian-style home décor and design is a bit of a puzzlement to me. It calls to mind clean lines and a certain unfussy-ness, while still managing a cozy feeling. Maybe it's that such design is all about simplicity, and there's something comforting about that less-is-more aesthetic. In these days of Marie Kondo, the Scandinavian interior philosophy (should you choose to embrace it) inherently gives your world some much-welcomed room to breathe. 



I don't personally subscribe to less is more. You should see my apartment! But even I can find some choice pieces to add to my eclectic interior vibe at a shop so expertly curated as Olson House in Shorewood. Boasting "thoughtful interiors" and "consciously crafted products," the store is located just up the street from me (a stop at North Shore Boulangerie followed by a trip to Olson House is a delightful way to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning). 



Olson House is the brain child of Teresa Olson, an interior designer and proud Scandinavian. Her shop offers a myriad of lifestyle goodies: modern furniture and light fixtures, brightly-patterned pillows, gorgeous wool throw blankets, printed table linens, candles, darling mugs, plates, and vases, handmade plush dolls (that octopus!), jewelry, chocolate bars, and a carefully-chosen selection of cards. It's a truly marvelous little place! 



Though the prices tend to fall in line with other shops that sell hand-crafted goods (AKA: often beaucoup bucks), even I never fail to walk away empty handed. Whether it's a greeting card for my stash (one with a bird and a talk bubble that says "chirp") or a folk-y tea towel printed blue birds (again with the birds!), there's always something I can't say no to. And if I ever need a gift for a special occasion, I know that Olson House will be one of my first stops.  

No comments:

Post a Comment