Thursday, December 6, 2018

I ❤️ Eating in NY

Taking the proverbial bite out of the Big Apple


My favorite things about having best friends who live in NYC are: 

a.) they already have public transportation figured out 
b.) they know where to eat in a city that's overwhelmingly delish 

Like, where do people who don't have besties in New York even start? I feel panicked just thinking about it. 

So here I am, logging two scrumptious spots these friends of mine brought into my world during my last trip to New York. Why log a measly two? Because I don't want to forget how tasty these meals were, and passing along even a couple recos to the wide world is better than not passing on any recos at all. So here goes.

Shuka 
Can I get more picturesque Mediterranean brunch in my life? Shuka made my eyeballs and tastebuds so happy. "One of the most warm and inviting rooms in the city" and "fresh and local food" — that's what the Shuka website promises. And does it deliver? 




Well, I felt plenty warm and invited, so yes, I'd say so. This place has ambiance for days! Even the bathroom is stylish as all get out, so you know this is a quality establishment. The website also claims a "friendly staff," which is notably true per our experience. 




The eating was scrumptious. We ordered a chicken kebab, the shakshuka, a killer kale salad, cucumbers, and assorted dips on the side. Can we eat this every day? 

Xi'an Famous Foods
On days when we're not eating Shuka, can we eat Xi'an Famous Foods? Oh my gosh, noodles and dumplings and sauces and so what if it's a chain? It's a New York chain, so. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

The location we went to had space for about four or five hungry folks to sit elbow-to-elbow at a small ledge facing the window or a wall, so no points for ambiance. Though I guess you could count cramped as a sort of authentic New York City ambiance in itself. 




Still, all the points go to this meal I can't stop craving. We had pork "Zha Jiang" hand-ripped noodles, spinach and lamb dumplings, and spicy noodles in soup — all amazing, all things I will be dreaming of until I get them back in my belly again.

New York, thanks for being so tasty. New York friends who always show me a good and delicious time, thank you for knowing where to go. Now what's for dessert? 

No comments:

Post a Comment