Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Broadway in Milwaukee's 2016/2017 season

What's coming to the Marcus Center? 


Last night, the Marcus Center announced which Broadway musicals will be coming through Milwaukee in the 2016/2017 season. I have to say, it feels like a mixed bag of tricks to me. There are two shows I've seen recently and the rest are an assortment I feel I could take or leave. 



First, a shout out to the two shows I've already seen. Cinderella was hands-down one of my favorite musical theater experiences to date. Yes, I'm a sucker for a good fairytale, but if you have even a teeny tiny soft spot for the story of Cinderella, plan on seeing this show. The music is sweeping, the sets are like a picture book, the costumes are gorgeous, and the magical elements are, well, magical. I plan on making a repeat visit to see the show in Milwaukee for sure. 

And then there's Book of Mormon. I don't know the last time I laughed harder at a musical. That said, I just saw it last summer, so seeing it again this October seems like a bit much, especially with the promise of Hamilton starting its Chicago run this fall (deep breaths). But it doesn't matter if I go see Book of Mormon a second time — what matters is that if you haven't seen it yet and if you can appreciate some irreverent humor (which, I honestly don't and even I loved this musical, so that tells you something!), don't miss this show! There's a reason the Marcus Center is bringing it back so soon. It's a cash cow. And it's a cash cow because people are obsessed with it.

Now let's look at the rest of the lineup. Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. While I don't see myself rushing to see this one, I'm sure it's great and I would give it a shot if the timing works out and ticket prices aren't too scary. After all, it was nominated for Best Musical at the Tony Awards in 2014. Sound of Music leaves me asking: How could it be better than the movie? The movie is so ingrained in me that I worry I will just be comparing the show to the  movie the entire time. That, and having flashbacks to the horrific Carrie Underwood incident. We won't speak of it again.

Then there's Elf and Chicago. I don't know much of anything about Elf as a musical — but it's another instance of wondering how it could possibly rival the movie. Then again, all that wonderful Christmas spirit might be a sheer delight to witness in a lavish stage production. As for Chicago, it's been around for a while, but I've never seen it. I'd probably consider shelling out for that one to check it off my list... It's about time. Still, I'm not all that jazzed about it. (See what I did there?)

What do you think friends? Have any of you seen these shows that have me feeling lukewarm? I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong and have someone tell me they adored Elf or Beautiful or even a Sound of Music sans Julie Andrews. So if you have any scoop on these shows, share it freely! You know what they say: Friends don't let friends miss out on must-see touring Broadway theater. 

P.S. What even is The Illusionists? I just keep picturing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment