Sunday, June 8, 2014

Indulge

Downtown Dining 2014


When the menus came out for Downtown Dining 2014, there was much drooling and indecision. The premise of Downtown Dining is that for one week only, select Milwaukee restaurants offer a fixed three-course menu for a set price. My friend Rachel was in town from New York for her nephew's high school graduation and I was working the Bead&Button Show all weekend, so we only this one meal to catch up.

After weighing the pros and cons of truffle popcorn vs. burgers topped with cheese curds vs. deep-fried Girl Scout cookies, we consulted the fellas and eventually settled on Indulge. 


Indulge is a wine bar near Cathedral Square Park with a welcoming picture window, modern interior, and tall tables with impossibly heavy chairs. Our favorite part of the evening was when the resident wine guru chose a glass of white for Rachel after asking her "What's the first thing you drink in the morning?" (Coffee, black.) She was pleased with his choice in wine, and we were all impressed.

For our dinner selections, we indulged (pun intended) in cheese and charcuterie, truffle popcorn, small but tasty sandwiches, and chocolate & cupcake trios. Ask my tastebuds, they'd tell you that the first course took the cake. Oh to bath in truffle oil! 






















The sandwiches, though tasty, were small. Adam was rather hung up on that fact and found his ham and gruyere a bit basic. For my part, I must say the Italian sammy is something I can't wait to recreate in my own kitchen: proscuitto, roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, and basil pesto mayo all toasted on a baguette. 

As for dessert? Meh. Except for the white chocolate, coconut, and bourbon truffle. I wonder if Downtown Dining really shows off the best of each restaurant? I can't say. But I will say this: Despite the so-so food experience, I'd go back. The vibe is winning, the wine and apps are tasty, and the sandwiches show potential — that's enough to get me to Indulge again.

No comments:

Post a Comment