Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Music of the night

Phantom of the Opera tour 2014


Last night, Adam and I double-dated with our friends Joel and Vanessa for dinner and a Broadway show. This morning, all I can think is: 

#1. What delightful people! 
#2. I'm such a Broadway snob. 
#3. Never the nosebleeds. 

I love saving money as much as the next person, but so much is lost when you're sitting Balcony, Row D. But more on that later.

Dinner was a delight, as were our dinner dates. We went to Cubanitas, which always has such a vibrant, downtown vibe. The place is even better in summer, when its floor-to-ceiling windows open out onto the sidewalk. We ordered tasty beers, "not oaky, not tinny" Chardonnay, and guacamole with plantain chips to start. For dinner, plates of beef and fish served with yellow rice and black beans.

Vanessa, Joel, & plates of Bistec
Before we knew it, it was 7:10 and we had to high-tail it to the Performing Arts Center, myself clinging to these gargantuan Parisian platform sandals Aunt Kal handed down to me (I can see why she did). Despite inappropriate footwear, we made it to our seats just in time. Adam and I squinted at the stage and I longed to be close enough to really see the ballet dancers, the gorgeous costumes, and Christine's expressions. Her voice was outstanding (nearly on par with Sierra Boggess' "Wishing you were somehow here again"), and the Phantom offered shades of Ramin Karimloo at times. But at other times, I found they lacked passion and zing — that certain X factor. Though I'm sure some of my disappointment stems from being so far away from the action (hence, never the nosebleeds!). 

Either way, it was worth it for the experience, for the music, and for the times when the voices transported us to the Paris Opera House. I just wish we'd splurged for the floor seats! 

1 comment:

  1. And yet again we attended the same cultural event but did not sit together (does Sir Paul at Miller Park ring a bell?). Dan and I attended the POTO performance on Tuesday night and I highly recommend Box E, Seats 3 and 4 to avoid nosebleeds in the future. I hear, however, the BEST seat in the house is in Box 5...

    ReplyDelete