Sunday, February 8, 2015

31 Days of Oscar

My picks for the week of Feb. 9


Last week, I told you about Turner Classic Movie's annual 31 Days of Oscar and picked out five classic films I was must excited about. This week, I've got five more movies that come with the Kelsey stamp of approval. Check 'em out, or view the entire TCM schedule here.

Charade, 1963 - showing Feb 10

The stars: Audrey Hepburn & Cary Grant

The premise: What happens when a woman's husband is murdered and several shady characters turn up to claim a fortune said husband allegedly stole?

Why I love it: Suspense! Paris! Audrey Hepburn's outerwear! 

- - - - - - -

Funny Girl, 1968 - showing Feb 12

The star: Barbara Streisand 

The premise: What happens when a funny, fresh, fish-out-of-water starlet named Fanny Brice rises to fame while navigating love and marriage with a suave gambling man?

Why I love it: Barbara Streisand. She's good. So good. Watching this movie is like... laugh, cry, gape, and repeat. Laughing, because as the title implies, Babs really is a funny girl. Cry, because Fanny's romance is a turbulent one - and "People." Gape, because of the sheer power of Streisand's vocals (see also: "Rain On My Parade"). 

- - - - - - -

How to Marry a Millionaire, 1953 - showing Feb 13

The stars: Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall

The premise: What happens with three single women set out to marry millionaires and find love along the way? 

Why I love it: This is one silly movie, but that's why I love it. It's total just-for-fun fluff. Marilyn Monroe is my favorite, playing a girl who's totally blind without her glasses but insists on removing them whenever a beau comes to call ("Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses!"). She's too cute and charming.

- - - - - - -

Roman Holiday, 1953 - showing Feb 13

The stars: Gregory Peck & Audrey Hepburn

The premise: What happens when a bored princess escapes her guards and falls for an American in Rome? 

Why I love it: To be honest, I haven't seen this movie in ages - and that's why I'm excited to see it again. I mean... Audrey Hepburn + princess + Rome + romance = How can you go wrong? 

- - - - - - -

The Red Balloon, 1954 - showing Feb 14

The stars: A red balloon & an adorable little French boy

The premise: What happens when a living red balloon befriends a young boy and follows him around Paris? 

Why I love it: This practically-silent short French film is so charming I can't stand it. As Winnie the Pooh says "Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon." I'll go one step further - nobody can be uncheered with a balloon with a life of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment