Thursday, September 17, 2015

John's Sandwich Shop

A fresh spin on diner eats


When you walk into John's Sandwich Shop, you'll notice an updated diner vibe. There's a long counter with stools, a malt machine, and the fry cooks are visible from the very front of the one-room restaurant. But John's isn't a greasy spoon. The walls are always freshly painted, the décor is cute, there's outdoor seating, and one look at the menu reveals you're not dealing with typical diner fare.



I grew up with John's — and partially at John's. For my fish job ever, I was a bus girl there. Back then it was just as delicious, but decidedly more greasy. Famous for their breakfast, the post-church crowd always left me with sticky syrup spattered on my ill-fitting khaki pants. I shudder. But since those days of young me, John's has undergone a health-crazed transformation. Don't get me wrong, you can still find malts and egg-topped burgers on the menu, but you'll find them alongside The Grainiac (a chopped salad of toasted quinoa, cucumber, onion, tomato, and avocado with agave nectar, greens, and black beans) and other healthy eats. 



I love the balance John's shows in their menu. Whether you go greasy or green, there's something for everyone. I usually go for the quesadillas – they're served with these seriously yummy cinnamon-sugar crisps that are like automatic admittance to the Clean Plate Club. My mom (who is my go-to John's date) likes to switch it up. She sometimes gets a burger and sometimes indulges in the all-day breakfast. 



I can't think of when I had a bad meal at John's. My mom and I go every six weeks, like clockwork (whenever the family dog Pippin is at the groomer's). See? John's keeps 'em coming back! Some things of note: John's is an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kind of place with hours from 6:30 to 8:00. They're also cash-only. Kind of annoying, but also right in line with their quaint, family-owned and operated vibe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment