Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Oatmeal carmelitas

Heavenly caramel-chocolate-oatmeal cookie bars


O.M.G. 

O for Oatmeal. M for More! And G for GET LOST, THE LAST ONE'S MINE. 

I don't remember the last time an edible treat left such an impression on me. These are basically all of my favorite things in one bar cookie. They're buttery, melt-in-your-mouth, pieces of heaven. 

My dear friend Kaitlyn had these at her bachelorette party a few years ago, and I've been dreaming of them ever since. I don't know why I never asked for the recipe until now — probably because I knew having it would mean curtains for my waistline. But I caved. And boy am I ever glad I did. So thanks for sharing, Kaitlyn! Let's dig in.



- - - - - - - 

OATMEAL CARMELITAS

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
COOKIE CRUST
2 cups flour
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 and 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/4 cup butter, softened (I used salted)

FILLING
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup caramel topping (10- or 12-oz. jar)
3 TBS flour

WHAT YOU'LL DO
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch pan. Combine all crust ingredients in a large bowl, and mix with an electric mixer until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, reserving the remainder for the top. Bake for 10 minutes.

2. Pour caramel into a bowl (heat the jar in the microwave for about 20 seconds and it will pour more easily). Add 3 TBS flour and whisk until fully combined. 

3. Remove pan from oven after 10 minutes and sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts, then pour over the caramel sauce in an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining crust mixture. Bake an additional 18 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden. *Note: The center might be rather molten coming out of the oven, but it will set up as it cools.

- - - - - - -



There's really nothing more I can say about these. They're simple and scrumptious. Just go make them and thank me (and Kaitlyn) later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment