Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Wolf Peach

Brunch favorites with a posh twist in Riverwest


Milwaukee's Wolf Peach is a self-described "posh bar and restaurant." The décor is a mix of modern, rustic, and sophisticated glam. You'll find contemporary lighting and artwork, winding root-like sculptural elements, wood block tables topped with brown craft paper, sunny picture windows, and strategically-placed crystal chandeliers. The effect is somehow airy, cozy, chic, and homey all at once.



When my mom and I brunched at Wolf Peach last weekend, we were seated at the community table. Why not just have two smaller tables that you can push together in the event of a larger party? I'm not sure. 



But even when a second party joined us at the table, it was perfectly fine and not at all intrusive feeling. So if you go, don't fear the communal table! However if you plan ahead, you can also make a reservation. Without a reservation, you can wait for your table at the bar, sipping mimosas (like Mom and I did), so really it's a win-win. 



The brunch menu is mainly classics, some with a twist. You'll find traditional Eggs Benedict, corned beef hash, biscuits & gravy, and an omelet of the day. For the twist, check out the I'll Have What She's Having (Eggs Benedict with basil pesto and potato latkes) or Baked Polenta (ham, baked eggs, cherry tomatoes, and roasted mushrooms). 



I went for something sweet: The Smothered Buttermilk Waffle. Smothered with what? Hazelnut butter, strawberry-thyme jam, and whipped cream. Confession: Turns out I'm really not that into strawberries and strawberry syrup on things. I always think I might be, because I love strawberries, but it's just not so. But I can tell you that if strawberries and strawberry syrup are your thing, you will probably love this waffle! I did eat 3/4 of it after all. 



On the other hand, my mom ordered something seriously freaking fantastic: The Lumberjack Stack. It's a piece of French toast topped with herbed hashbrowns, a tasty breakfast sausage patty, a slice of melty cheddar cheese, and an over-easy egg — served with syrup on the side. If you like eating sweet and savory breakfast foods together (AKA if you're a fan of the McGriddle), the Lumberjack Stack is heaven. Lucky for me, my mom is an angel — she traded me the last quarter of her Stack for the last quarter of my waffle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment