Friday, August 4, 2017

Sundays at Villa Terrace

Café Sopra Maré


What I'm about to tell you is one of the best-kept Milwaukee secrets. Key word: secret. While I want to spread this bit of magic to those near and dear to me (if you're reading this, thanks for making being near and dear!), the last thing we need is a swarm of hipsters taking over the Villa Terrace on Sunday mornings. So if you can keep a secret and aren't part of a hipster swarm, read on.



Sunday mornings in summer, Villa Terrace hosts Café Sopra Maré in the courtyard. From 10:00 to 12:30, the courtyard is open to the public, with live musical performances beginning at 10:30. The Villa invites folks to "listen to the music, read, visit with friends, or simply relax." How charming is that? 



When my friends and I bopped over around 11:00 last weekend, the courtyard was packed full of people — some chatting quietly, some reading their Sunday New York Times, and some drinking in the sunshine (parasols in hand) and live guitar and mandolin tunes. You can also drink coffee and tea from the Roast beverage table, or enjoy mimosas and bloody marys from the house bar. If you get there early enough, there are even fresh pastries available. 



Can you tour the museum and gardens during Café Sopra Maré? Yes, but it's not free. Tickets are $7. While we didn't have time to wander the museum on this first visit, I think it would be an entirely worthwhile experience on a beautiful summer day, when time allows. 

Live music continues at Villa Terrace every Sunday through the end of September, so finding a time to go back for more courtyard magic is indeed a must in my book. I hope those near and dear feel the same; like I said, it's one of Milwaukee's best-kept secrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment