Monday, July 23, 2018

3-2-1 Avocado toast!

A tasty tour of three Milwaukee toasts 


Sometimes, no matter how you fight your fears of being basic or tell yourself "I could make this at home," you still succumb to the avocado toast. Compared to piles of syrupy pancakes or benedicts drenched in sauce, avocado toast often feels like the lightest choice on the menu, and that's what keeps me coming back.

Here are three Milwaukee toasts I've tried in recent history. The favorite? It surprised me, too.



In Third Place, The Plaza Hotel. Here we have something that's lovely to look at, but lacked a je ne sais quoi. To be honest, I thought the avocado tasted a bit like the guac you get at Metro Market: fresh enough, but like it's been sitting out too long. The whole thing just didn't do it for me. And at $12, it really should do something more than look pretty in a picture. 



Second Place is really more like Tied-for-First, but I digress. Fuel Café on 5th Street has scrumptious food all around, and their avocado toast in no exception. Theirs is topped with tomato, whipped dill cream cheese (!), and served with a house salad. Delicious. This is $9 I'd spend again in a heartbeat. 



I've gotta give First Place to what I thought would be the dark horse in this race: Urban Beets Café. Urban Beets is a plant-based eatery, and they top their toast with coconut bacon. 

Say what!? Yes, their fresh avocado is topped with crunchy bits of toasted coconut prepared smoky-style, and those bits are then drizzled with plenty of finger-lickin' balsamic. It makes me do a happy dance. The best part? You can get just one toast, perfect for a small breakfast, for $3.95. Love.

If anyone has had an avocado toast that could rival these babies, sound off in the comments! Let's all be basic together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment