Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Broadway in Chicago: Cinderella

It's possible! I'm a little bit obsessed



Where do I begin with this enchanting, eye-popping spectacle? Of course there's Rogers & Hammerstein, a fairy godmother, a ball at the palace, whirling hoop skirts, the lost glass slipper, and an audience teeming with awestruck little girls in tiaras. All that is to be expected, but there's plenty left to surprise and delight. First, the set design - like a life-size pop-up book. Second, the voices: Our Cinderella, Paige Faure, sounded like a perfect blend of Disney's Ariel and everything you'd want in a Christine Daae.

Third: the character of Cinderella. While she does sing to a forest critter puppet or two (adorable) and giggle plenty, she also yearns for knowledge and to make a difference in the world (very Ever After). Fourth: the prince. He isn't just Prince Charming - his name is Christopher (Topher for short) and he actually has a personality! He's unsure of himself - a sort of lovable, goofy, prince-next-door. Of course that does make him charming, but in a very real way. 

So do the contemporary twists detract from the romance? Not to me. I like that our heroes aren't just lovesick stereotypes. I read one review saying the 1950s Rogers & Hammerstein songs don't really work with the story's new direction. But I found that, while I enjoyed the modernized plot points, I happily forgot them for a minute or two. I think I held my breath throughout the entire dreamy ballad "Do I love you because you're beautiful?" And that's okay. After all, Topher falls for Cinderella's beauty and brains. (Really!)

And the plot changes certainly didn't effect the wonders of theatrical magic. How (how!?) did Cinderella turn from a smudgy peasant to a princess with an up-do, tiara, and white poofy ball gown in the time it took her to spin on her heel? I don't know. But I want to watch her do it again. And again. And again, for good measure. If my obsession is any indication, I think it's safe to say that the magic of Cinderella lasts long after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment