Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Curry cashew chicken salad

Like a gourmet deli at home


When you stop and think about it, isn't it amazing that we spend so much money on things like fancy sandwiches? You could feed homemade sandwiches to your entire family on what it costs to buy one at a restaurant. Not that I'm about to stop ordering sandwiches, but my mom's curry cashew chicken salad makes me pause to question why I don't just mix up this yumminess more often. 

- - - - - - - 

CURRY CASHEW CHICKEN SALAD

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
3 cups shredded chicken (about 3 chicken breasts in the slow cooker)
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 granny smith apple, chopped
2 TBS craisins
2 to 3 TBS chutney
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp lemon juice
cayenne pepper & garlic salt, to taste

WHAT YOU'LL DO: 
Mix it all together. (Yep.)

- - - - - - - 

I just love this chicken salad. I love that the chicken is shredded (that's the only way chicken salad should ever be, in my humble opinion). I love that there's a depth of flavor and texture beyond just mushy mayonnaise: the curry, the chutney, the crunch of the apples and cashews, and the sweet, chewy craisins. With how easily all the yummy ingredients come together, this really is the perfect way to give that $12 restaurant sandwich a homemade makeover.

No comments:

Post a Comment