Friday, December 5, 2014

Day 9: The Santa Clause

"Can we take a direct flight back to reality, or do we have to change planes in Denver?" 


The Santa Clause is pure '90s Disney magic. I remember when the special effects were way cool, like how the snow globe comes to life and the North Pole rises up out of the ground, complete with a keypad that looks like a cheap calculator. Those were the days. Just as Home Alone has an obsessive fan base, I'm pretty sure the same holds true for The Santa Clause; I personally know several such groupies. We love the classic Tim Allen delivery ("He sucks it in like Grandpa"), the way Charlie whines about everything ("Plain milk's fine..."), the super-annoying E.L.F.S. ("Elves with Attitude" is not an alliteration!), and Neil's Oscar Mayer weenie whistle.

But I'll be honest - it's not only the funny stuff. Obvious-CGI or not, I love that magical snow globe. I love the movie's score. I want to spend a night in Santa's workshop with the Ball Room and the polar bear directing traffic. I want to hang with Judy and the other elves with silver specks on their cheeks. I want to always believe what Charlie tells Neil: "Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist." See — I told you it was pure Disney magic!

The premise: What happens when a man accidentally kills Santa Claus and is magically recruited to take his place? 

The best supporting characters: Neil's sweaters & Bernard the elf.

The moral of the story: "Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing." _Judy the elf

No comments:

Post a Comment