Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Pecan pie

Whip up a nutty dessert in no-time


If I have to choose between pumpkin and pecan pie, pecan always wins. Luckily for me, my family agrees, so I get to do plenty of pecan pie baking around the holidays. 

In the past we've bought pecan pie at the store, and while I always enjoy it, I sometimes wish it wasn't so gelatinous. So a few years back I found a recipe that uses no corn syrup, resulting in a more nutty, less gooey texture. 


- - - - - - - 

PECAN PIE

WHAT YOU'LL NEED: 
1 cup brown sugar (I've used light & dark interchangeably) 
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 TBS flour
1 TBS milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 frozen pie shell (see "Pie shell note," below)

WHAT YOU'LL DO: 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy, then stir in melted butter. Stir in sugars and flour, and mix well. Add milk, vanilla, and nuts, stirring until combined. Pour filling into frozen pie shell and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until center is set.

*Pie shell note: Once upon a time, I used a frozen Marie Callender's pie shell and it was amazing. But if you can't locate those, just use what you can easily find. Depending on the depth of your pie shell, you might have to double the filling (or if not double, add another half-batch of filling). The filling will rise a bit once baked, but not much!

- - - - - - - 

My family loves this pie so much that they've requested one for Christmas too. Which is fine by me — baking really doesn't get much easier than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment