Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Bristol Renaissance Faire 2.0

My take-aways & questions in 2016


Last year I dished on 8 tips for the Bristol Renaissance Faire. Last weekend I was happy to go back to see what 2016 had in store. Well I have a few take-aways and a couple questions. If you have the answers to said questions, please comment below. I must have answers. 

Take-away #1: Three hours is not enough time at the Renaissance Faire. The joust alone will set you back at least an hour. The grounds are sprawling and there are so many shops to peep, games to play, and food to stuff in your face. I say you need at least five hours.

Take-away #2: The gelato is damn good. We got chocolate with a pillow of whipped cream on top. The cream was from a can, but the gelato itself was super rich and cocoa-y. Big fan. Even though I really did want ice cream in a waffle cone (which is apparently just up the road from the gelato, if you're heading away from the joust).



Take-away #3: If I am ever unemployed, I'm going to apply to be a skirt-twirling dancer at the Renaissance Faire on summer weekends. And in case you're wondering, I would work in the Kate Spade store during the week (mall air conditioning and discounts!) and be a flight attendant during the fall, winter, and spring months (free flights!). That, or open a card & cake shop. Solid plan, right? 

Take-away #4: At the very end of the Faire day, the entire cast of players parades out of the main gates and sings a jolly song. Then the Queen says some parting words to the crowd, everyone cheers, and it's really just the best thing. So if you're staying until almost-the-end anyway, stay for the song. It will make your heart happy.

Question #1: Has anyone visited a tarot reader or psychic at the Renaissance Faire? If so, how was it? I ran out of time, even though I had wanted to try it this year. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Question #2: Does the green knight win every time? Last year Don Vincenzo, the dark & handsome Italian in green, won the joust. He won again this year. By chance or by design?? I ASK YOU. They appear to keep score, but is it all an elaborate ruse?! Dying to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment