Thursday, July 7, 2016

Scuppernong Nature Trail

Take a hike in Kettle Moraine State Park


On July 4th, some friends and I had a nature and beach day in the Dousman region of Kettle Moraine State Park. As it's a state park, you need a super-official Wisconsin state park pass on your car's windshield to get in. Given the cost of a single day vs. the annual pass, I say get the annual and see more Wisconsin parks! 


But back to Kettle Moraine and the Scuppernong trail. There are various lengths of hikes you can take, from 2 miles up to 5+ miles. Since we had other things to do on the 4th of July (read: sit at the beach), my friends and I opted for the 2-mile hike. 



It's certainly hilly and the path itself might be gravel one minute and covered in red-orange pine needles the next. It's very pretty with all the lush greenery of high summer, and I can only imagine how lovely this walk would be in the fall as the colors change. During our hike, we went out of our way for the scenic overlook, but it all the leafy-ness got in the way of the view. Better luck next time! 



Walking the Scuppernong trail really made me thirsty to walk other Wisconsin trails. There are so many just a short drive from Milwaukee, and I always love walking the woods up north — why not walk them a little closer to home? They're certainly no less scenic. 

1 comment:

  1. I am a volunteer for the Ice Age Trail Alliance-Waukesha/Milwaukee County Chapter. We sponsor hikes throughout the area, one of them taking place at Scuppernong next month. I'd like to use your photo for our FB posts reminding everyone about the event. If you are willing I will credit you as the the photographer and your blog address. Thanks! -Ann Green

    ReplyDelete