Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Live music at Boerner Botanical Gardens

Thursday night summer concerts in Hales Corners


I hadn't been to the Boerner Botanical Gardens since I was a kid. Before my yearly dance recital, my family would go there to snap some pics of me in all my bun-and-stage-makeup glory. Oh boy! So I was super excited to go back to the gardens last Thursday and see what I'd been missing all these years since I quit dancing (on a stage, that is). Sadly we were mostly rained out, but more on that later.



The Garden's weekly concerts are Thursdays this summer from 6:30 to 8:30, but you can get in as early as 6:00 for free (here's more info). Any other time, admission is $5.50 for adults, though the gardens are offering free days the first Tuesday of the month through September. During the concerts, food and beverages are available for purchase, or you can bring your own picnic. I recommend BYO. I didn't see what the food options were, but it certainly wasn't a wide array like at other summer concert series in the area.



My friends and I enjoyed a spread complete with wine and a necessary monogrammed mini cheeseboard my friend Erin got as a wedding gift last September. A bluegrass band started promptly at 6:30, but only played for a few minutes before the lead singer said "Don't look behind you folks!" Behind us was a big bad summer storm. The threatening clouds rolled in quickly, as most folks in the crowd packed up their things and made a beeline for the parking lot — all to the sounds of that bluegrass banjo. Is there a better soundtrack for a bunch of people scurrying like crazy to get out of a looming storm? 

I'd love to go back for another concert at the gardens, but we'll see if time allows this year. Concerts run through September 1st. If you'd like a different excuse to check out Boerner, there's always their Sunday brunch buffet. For more info on the many happenings at the Boerner Botanical Gardens, visit their website!

No comments:

Post a Comment