Monday, August 10, 2015

Dinner at Swig // Dessert at Benelux

Sidewalk & rooftop dining in the Third Ward


When it would be easier to stay in, eat butter toast, and binge watch Parks and Recreation, I'm instead making a conscious effort to get out and enjoy Wisconsin's fleeting, warm summer nights. So on what could have been a lazy evening at home, Adam and I instead put on our Sunday clothes to roam the Third Ward and find some yummy outdoor dining.



We settled on Swig — a place I've been to twice before but Adam had never tried. My first visit to Swig was an indulgent girls night (there was chocolate fondue). My second trip to Swig was relatively recent: lunch with Mom during Downtown Dining Week. We particularly loved the black bean cakes and turkey sandwich with brie, arugula, and red onion jam on rosemary focaccia. I don't remember the last time I've been so excited over a sandwich. The yumminess haunts me.

But the Swig menu switches to more fancy eats in the dinner hour — no turkey sandwiches here. Adam chose a pork dish, which was good but not life-changing. I was happy with my choice: grilled salmon with a ginger sesame glaze served on a bed of quinoa with caramelized brussels sprouts. I'd for sure get it again. Our only complaint about Swig's outdoor dining: They could really use some ambiance. Candles on the tables maybe? String lights overhead? Otherwise, we were pleased. 

For dessert, we walked to Cafe Benelux and asked for a rooftop table. The wait was about 30 minutes, so we strolled along the Riverwalk to pass time. When our table at Benelux was set, we ordered dessert: skillet brownie topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and fudge sauce. Oh, and the ice cream has pretzel bits in it, so sometimes you'll get a bite of salty crunch mixed in with the sweet, warm/cool brownie/ice cream. Divine. And way too much for two people who just ate a full dinner. But ladies, this brownie has Girls Night written all over it! So grab your girls, go to Benelux, get four spoons & dig into Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment