Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Day 16: White Christmas

"Let's just say we're doing it for a pal in the army." 



God I love this movie. I love Bing's warm bass-baratone. I love one song more than the last for a whole spectrum of reasons - they're heartwarming, eye-popping, bizarrely staged, and riddled with talent. Vera Ellen might weigh as much as my arm, but boy she can tap your face off. Danny Kaye is such a lovable goofball. Rosemary Clooney has a classic cabaret-style voice - not to mention perfectly manicured lipstick even when she's sleeping. Don't we all go to bed with full makeup, or was that just so 1954?

Anyway, you gotta love the totally Hollywood White Christmas story line. It starts with two ex-army mates that quickly become a famous song-and-dance duo. The duo, Bob Wallace & Phil Davis, team up with a sister act, The Haynes Sisters, to save the vacant Vermont inn now owned by the fellas' ex-commander, Major General Waverly. How will they bring business in to the inn? Why, by staging a lavish Broadway show right there in Vermont, of course! Bless you Hollywood.

The "Did you know?": The original plan was to re-team Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire since Holiday Inn had been a big hit in 1942. But Fred had quit the biz for the time being, so they brought in Danny Kaye. The reprise of "Sisters" (photo above) where Bing and Danny dress in (slight) drag was written into the script after the two were goofing around with the song on set and cracking everyone up. 

The best song: I've got to give it up for "Snow." Not only for the harmonies and impromptu diorama-building, but for Bing's delivery on his final line: "I'd love to stay up with you but I recommend a little shut eye, go to sleep, and dream of snow."

The best dance: It's so hard to pick just one. My favorite seems to change each year. But for now I'll run with "The best things happen while you're dancing."  I'm open to arguments to the contrary. 

The random quote we should all adopt: "Mutual I'm sure." 

No comments:

Post a Comment