Sunday, December 28, 2014

Day 24: The Polar Express

"Well, ya comin'?"


I can't think of many picture books that top Chris Van Allsburg's to me. His stories and illustrations weave fantastical elements into everyday life, making readers walk the line between fantasy and reality. Personally, I never doubted the reality of The Polar Express. But in the movie, we're invited to question the magic just like the unnamed Hero Boy. Is it all real, or is it just a dream?


Personally, I enjoy the book more than the movie. Yes, the movie is a wonder to behold - the animation is gorgeous, Santa's workshop is unlike any other depiction out there, the theme music is spot-on, and I never fail to cry a little at the end (surprise surprise!). But that know-it-all kid makes me want to tear my hair out.

In spite of the annoying know-it-all, I still find the movie version completely worthwhile. But I'd argue that an even better way to experience The Polar Express is to listen to Chris Van Allsburg's words read aloud by Liam Neeson - the audio is available in full on youtube. It's a fitting way to experience the Hero Boy's journey and to discover the Conductor's message for ourselves: "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."

No comments:

Post a Comment