Friday, December 26, 2014

Day 23: Home Alone 2, Lost in New York

"Another Christmas in the trenches."


My brother and I are huge Home Alone fans. Kevin says Home Alone 2 is his favorite, whereas I'm completely indecisive. I know Kevin loves Lost in New York because we get more Marv and Harry time ("Wow! What a hole!"). We also love the concierge played by Tim Curry and Rob Schneider as the bellhop ("No tip? Okay..."). So yes, the humor game has definitely been upped in the Home Alone sequel.



I would argue that the heart of the story has also been given a boost. You've got Mr. Duncan from Duncan's Toy Chest donating all the money raised on Christmas Eve to the children's hospital and you have The Bird Lady (or as we call her, Maggie - shout out Angels in the Outfield!). The Bird Lady's story is just as compelling as Old Man Marley's in the original movie, and it gets me every time when Kevin McCallister tells her: "I won't forget to remember you." I suppose if you like how the first Home Alone married humor and heart, you're probably right to agree with my brother and pick Home Alone 2: Lost in New York as your favorite of the pair - this movie offers even more of each. Oh, and still plenty of screams.

No comments:

Post a Comment